How to Request a New FeatureTutorial and images by EMDF
So you've got an idea for a new feature. We'd love to hear it! But first, make sure we
haven't already heard or added it. With as many feature requests as we have, it's easy to
duplicate another user's request, even if you thought it was original. Not only this, but
the process of requesting a feature is a little complicated. Don't panic, I'll walk you
through each step of the way.
NOTE: You can link to specific steps or sections by clicking step numbers or headings and copy-pasting the URL in your address bar.
First, make sure your version is up-to-date. To do that, go
click the appropriate folder: if you're requesting a feature for IncrediBots 1, click the
"v1.x" folder; for IncrediBots 2, click the "v2.x" folder. Look at the highest version
available and compare it to the version you have. To do this, run your version and look at
the bottom-right corner of the screen for the version number. It should say "Jaybit
(IncrediFriends): Version x.xx", where "x" is the version number.
IMPORTANT: if no mention of "Jaybit" is made, and the version isn't 2.22 or 1.11 (the last IncrediBots versions at the time it went open source), STOP, and go back to the website you obtained the IncrediBots files from -- we do not support the version you're running, and will not accept any feature requests for it. If your version is 2.22, 1.11, or mentions "Jaybit", you may proceed.
Compare your version number to the highest version number listed on Sourceforge. If they are different, go here and download the highest version number to get both IncrediBots 1 and IncrediBots 2. Extract the files, run them, and search for the feature you want to request. Note that it may be hidden in a menu option or an in-game window. If you find it, then do not proceed further; your feature has already been added. If you do not find it, and are sure it doesn't exist in that version, then you may proceed to step 2.
2. Go to the official IncrediBots Feature Request Tracker here. It should look similar to this:
Look at all submitted feature requests to see if there are any that are close to what you're reporting.
3. If the feature request you're looking to add is listed by someone else, read the feature request itself and any comments to see what the status is. Do NOT create a new feature request, as it will only be marked as a duplicate. The "Resolution (Detailed)" (the red box in the screenshot below) usually indicates accurately what the current status of the feature request is. If it has no resolution, read the comments (displayed near the bottom of the page) to get a good idea of what's happening with it. ONLY POST A COMMENT IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING USEFUL TO ADD! Saying "I want this feature too" doesn't help unless you provide alternative, optional, or additional parts of the feature request, or provide more details of what the feature request is than other users have provided.
If you have the most up-to-date version of IncrediBots: Jaybit Edition, the feature you want to
request does not exist in any of the major versions, and no one else has posted a similar feature
request, then you're all set to post a feature request! To do this, you'll need to be logged in.
If you haven't already, register an account at
Sourceforge.net . Log in to your account, and then you will
be allowed to post in the Feature Request Tracker. NOTE: please
follow any and all Sourceforge.net rules prior to, during, and after registering. We are not
responsible nor liable for your conduct on Sourceforge.net .
Now that you know your feature request is original, click the "Report Issue" link in the gray bar at the top (the red box in the screenshot below).
5. Fill out the information required to create a feature request. Provide a detailed explanation of what the feature request is and how it works. If there is not enough information given, we will not be able to determine what is being requested and will not add it, so be as detailed as you can. If it looks too long, provide a short summary in the beginning, then go into further detail in the "additional information" section. Please select a type of feature request in the "Category" field according to the chart below, select the applicable versions in the "Product Version" field, select "N/A" for the "Reproducibility" field, and select "feature" for the "Severity" field.
Category types (prefixed by "Features -")
- Gameplay improvements
- Interface improvements
- New bot feature (e.g. density)
- New robot parts (e.g. cannons)
- Visual improvements
It should look like this when you are done:
6. Click the "Submit Report" button
7. Your feature request has now been submitted! If you monitor the feature request, you will receive emails when it is updated, either by comments or by a change of status. When you receive an email about your feature request, please follow the link in your email and view the updated feature request. If we need anything further from you, we'll use the comments section of your feature request. We cannot add a feature with inadequate information, so please remain updated on the feature request until it is resolved.